• question-icon

What does the following CT scan report indicate?

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I had a CT Scan recently that showed possibly a polyp, tumor, structure, thickening inside wall that might be inflamed or an infection. Both infection and inflammation were ruled out by blood tests. All blood tests were normal limits that were run. My gastro dr says we can diagnose diverticulosis for awhile and see if I have another episode. I have no pain now and bowel movements are normal. No bloody stools. I am 82 years old and would like to have a second opinion . I have problem with anesthesia causing my blood pressure to spike and trouble stabilizing it after . Therefore I am not wanting a colonoscopy at this time. Your thoughts please.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kini 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for fiber rich diet. Colonoscopy can be post-poned for sometime

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear. At your age we need to rule out if the tumor or polyp is cancerous. That's why may be colonoscopy is suggested. Diverticulosis is just a bulging in the mucosa which may cause bleeding per rectum.

Right now if you don't want to go for colonoscopy, you can wait and have a strict diet plan which involves fiber rich diet. Eat lot of bananas daily (if you aren't diabetic). Drink lots of water. If you have constipation you can take laxatives like syrup crimaffin or dulcolax tablets or dulcolax suppositories. See to it that you are not constipated. So with this strict diet plan if you are able to remain symptom free then its well and good. But if at all even with a strict diet plan for a month if there is still bleeding per rectum then better to go for colonoscopy.

Hope i have answered your question. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. I ll be glad to help you.
All the best
With warm regards
Dr Sanjay Kini

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Sanjay Kini