question-icon

What does severe pain in the abdomen and back indicate?

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2019
Question: My back is aching all the way across in thewaist and below the waist. Has continued to get worse since yesterday.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:

Could be due to muscle spasms

Detailed Answer:

Your back pain could be due to muscle spasm. Hot compress should provide relief.

The vicious cycle of pain and spasm needs to be broken and I would insist you to take Paracetamol or Acetaminophen two tablets together twice or thrice daily for the next 3 days.

This should ease the problem and make it go away. If it does not spondylosis could be another cause to consider.

I would insist you to get an X-ray of Lumbosacral spine (AP and lateral) done and to see a physical therapist with the reports.

Based on the findings he would be able to demonstrate to you proper exercises that should provide relief.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Prof. Kunal Saha, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha