What does severe pain in the abdomen and back indicate?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My back is aching all the way across in thewaist and below the waist. Has continued to get worse since yesterday.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Could be due to muscle spasms

Detailed Answer:

Your back pain could be due to muscle spasm. Hot compress should provide relief.

The vicious cycle of pain and spasm needs to be broken and I would insist you to take Paracetamol or Acetaminophen two tablets together twice or thrice daily for the next 3 days.

This should ease the problem and make it go away. If it does not spondylosis could be another cause to consider.

I would insist you to get an X-ray of Lumbosacral spine (AP and lateral) done and to see a physical therapist with the reports.

Based on the findings he would be able to demonstrate to you proper exercises that should provide relief.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Prof. Kunal Saha, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T