What does presence of fresh red blood in stool suggest?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I passed bright red blood in my stool this morning. I was not constipated. I have been having feelings of a nervous stomach. I have lost about one pound per week without exercise or any major changes to my diet. I am really concerned about the bright red blood in my stool.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Further tests required

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to hcm.
Fresh blood may be sign of various conditions in most cases benign such as hemorhhoids,polyps,fissures,but when it is associated with weightoss then further tests are necessary to rule out some more serious lesions such as tumor which isn't uncommon in your age. So you simply must do colonoscopy and you should not delay it. Wish you good health.Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar