What does positive ANA screem with speckled pattern indicate?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I had a PSVT three years ago. They said it was from to much caffinee. Ever since then, I thought something was wrong with my heart. had an Echo, EKG, Holter, Stress done, all came back fine. I stopped taking my lexapro two months ago now, and I've been feeling like something is still wrong. I feel I get skipped beats. I also have a slow pulse resting 50 to 60 bpm. I saw the cardio doctor two Thur ago. EKG, Echo, Holter, Stress, he said everything was normal.
I told my Primary doctor everything that was going on, he sent me for blood work. My cholesterol Non HDL is 194mg/dL. Cholesterol, Total is 238mg/dL; LDL-Cholesterol is 172mg/dL.
My ANA Screen, IFA also came back Positive, ANA Titer is 1:40 titer; ANA Pattern is Speckled.
What is going on with me? I also get pains all over the left side of my body, legs, arms, chest, just the left side. Almost feel like tension, or stabbing, or tingling. It eventually goes away.

I also get random twitches or jerks of my whole body. And I have alot of muscle spasms latly. It also kind of feels like my body is shaking a little if i sit still. It feels like its shaking, not noticeable though.

My PCP also gave me xanax thinking this is all anxiety. I get short of breath here and there.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Immunosuppresants will help

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir ,

I have carefully read your query and understand your concern.

The most significant aspect in your test reports is positive ANA screen with SPECKLED PATTERN.

This pattern even though non specific,largely point towards an underlying autoimmune disease process in your body.

This speckled pattern most likely represents "mixed connective tissue disorder" which is an overlap of clinical features of SLE plus systemic sclerosis plus polymyositis.

As most autoimmune disorders have multisystem involvement,the current symptoms in your case should be attributed to MCTD,unless otherwise proved.
i suggest you to stop xanax to control the tremors and muscle spasms.

Your lipid panel abnormalities can be corrected by dietary management with green leafy vegetables and oatmeal breakfast .

Skipped heart beats can be benign in your case

I suggest you to get tested for ANTI SCL-70 and ANTI-ds DNA for through evaluation of your immunological status.

These disorders can be managed with drugs like mycophenolate mofetil,azathioprine,and steroids.

I suggest you to consult an expert immunologist and cardiologist for further assistance.

I hope this info is useful to you,
in case of further queries post them to http://bit.ly/drsureshheijebu.
thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 53 minutes later
Why do you think the benign for the heart beats? I just had an Echo, EKG, Holter, and Stress, all came back normal. Wouldn't that have shown?

And you think this is MCTD, would that be proven on the ANTI SCL-70 or DNA test?What is Benign? A Tumor?

What about the resting pulse, anything with that or is it normal? I never noticed it until now.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
COMPLETE ANA PROFILE WILL BE HELPFUL

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Benign implies" harmless" condition.

I mean this regarding your skipped beats.
Since your Holter ecg has come out normal,there is nothing much to worry.
These will subside with itself.
Avoid coffee and alcohol.

A resting heart rate of 50-60 bpm is a normal rate.
So do not think it is slow.

It should be treated only when there are associated symptoms like severe dizziness with occasional loss of consciousness.
lam sure you have not mentioned these two symptoms in your earlier query.

Speckled pattern most likely represents MCTD.
By getting this ANA PROFILE of scl70 or anti ds dna ,the diagnosis can be specified to one/major component of MCTD.

THANK YOU
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 12 hours later
Also when I feel light headed, I can feel my whole body shaking but just slightly, not noticeable to someone looking at me, i can just feel it inside shaking. Its been happening for a while. Could this be anxiety or can this be part of the ANA?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
ANTXIETY RELATED.

Detailed Answer:
Lightheadedness with body tremors is most likely related to internal anxiety in your case.
Stop excess caffeine .
Destress yourself.

thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad