What does my anomaly scan report indicate?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 24 Mar 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: I am 19 weeks pregnant and had a anomaly scan today. Everything on the report seemed normal. I could see something like "Prominent Retro-placental complex seen in the lower aspect of the placenta." I wanted to know what this means and is it something to be worried about? Is this something that needs to be treated?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for sharing your health concern with us.

I have gone through your query and would like to offer some information.

Retroplacental complex is composed of the maternal blood vessels, uterine muscle or myometrium and the basal layer of the decidua. The usual thickness is 9.5 mm. The sonographic appearance in the normal state is hypoechoic.

Prominent retroplacental complex is observed when the uterine musculature is under transient contraction, when there is some hemorrhage in which case the sonographic appearance is hyperechoic and with a myoma which can be detected during the sonogram.

In the current scenario, it is more likely to be a normal observation. Follow up with further sonograms is done for clarification. Please discuss with your consultant.

I do not think there is something to worry. I would suggest review, however.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later
Thank you Doctor for the quick response. Further, I wanted to give you some more information from my previous scans. I was initially told that I have a subchorionic haematoma measuring 24x8mm. I was asked to take progesterone supplements (Susten 200mg) daily and a injection (500 mg weekly and later reduced to 250 mg once in two weeks since the size of the haematoma reduced.) Today I was informed that the haematoma is no longer present. Does this have any co-relation to the prominent retroplacental complex?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

It is possible that the sonographic appearance can be due to the old hematoma. In case of fresh bleeding, the sonographic appearance is hyperechoic at first up to 48 hours, later isoechoic and becomes hypoechoic. In your case, there seems to be no fresh bleeding.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Thank you so much for the clarification. Does this require any specific precautions or medication to be taken? Will it resolve on its own? Does this effect the baby/its growth in any way? Any risk to me because of this?
Brief Answer:
No obvious risk but needs follow up.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

The sonographic appearance is of no immediate concern. Regular follow up is sufficient. As of now, no specific medication is needed.

Take plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and maintain adequate hydration. Take rest for 8 hours during the night and 2 hours during the day, preferably in the left lateral position to help improve placental circulation.

1. No specific medication is needed. Except for regular follow up, no other special precautions are advised.

2. Growth of the fetus is affected if the blood supply is inhibited. This can be detected through sonogram. MRI and Doppler studies are also useful.

3. You do not have any risk when this is a normal finding.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 16 hours later
Thank you very much doctor for your advise. It helps a lot and am more at peace now.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are always welcome.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your feedback. You are always welcome to contact for more details.

Wish you safe motherhood.

regards,
Shanti.V.