What does my MRI scan report indicate?

Posted on Fri, 21 Nov 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: MRI shows enlarged thecal sac and nerve enhancement cauda equina what is this
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is a covering of spinal canal.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern. Thecal sac is covering of the spinal canal filled with csf. It is made up of dura matter and arachnoid matter. Enlarged thecal sac leads to compression of nerve route. It leads to lower back pain.
Treatment is immediate pain relief by analgesic. Permanent treatment is surgical repair.
Hope I have answered your question, if you have doubt then feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer you again.
Thanks for using health care magic.
Wish you a very good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 1 hour later
What could cause the thecal sac to be enlarged ? Could chronic adhesive arachnoiditis cause this
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can be a cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern. Thecal sac enlargement may be due to chronic adhesive arachidonitis. It is inflammation of nerve roots and meninges. It leads to deposition of inflammatory exudate and fibrin. So it causes enlarged thecal sac. Nerve roots may entrapped in this and leads to compression of nerve roots.
Hope I have answered your question, if you have doubt then I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.
Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist