Suggest ways to treat disc compression

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 in Back Pain
Question: I am looking for a procedure to expand my disks. I had it done years ago, but forgot the name. Do you know what I mean?
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Spinal decompression surgery

Detailed Answer:
hello sir,

thanks for the question.

The common term to relieve the effects of disc compression is called spinal decompression technique. However there are multiple components of this procedure. The spine surgeon can perform one or more components to relieve the symptoms. Diskectomy, Laminectomy (removal) or Laminotomy ( create space), osteophyte removal, corpectomy( removal of part of body of vertebra).

Do you remember any of the above? Let me know exact symptoms or the name so that we can discuss further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 1 hour later
I regret to inform you that the answers you gave me are not what I need or want. I need the name of the procedure where the doctor injects a fluid or paste into each disc (normally in the lumbar region of the back, but can also occur in thoracic and cervical areas of the spine ) to expand distance between vertebrae back to normal height. Thus pulling the walls of the discs back inward and away from the nerves the disc walls are aggravating. None of the discs can be ruptured, and mine are not. Back in XXXXXXX 1985, I was the 207th person to have this procedure when it was experimental in the U.S.A. after I took a fall of 3 meters off the roof of a house I was building, and I landed on my feet. I've done the same thing again. I know that the procedure is still being done because a friend of mine had it done during the first week in May of 2016 & 3 weeks later he was back to work & pain free. After my fall on 23 November 2016, I called my friends house, but got his son who told me that my friend had been killed in a car accident on 4 November 2016. His son did not know that his father had the procedure, so he had no idea what it was called or where his dad had it done at. The genius Orthopedic surgeon who did the procedure on me retired 9 years ago, and has left this area to parts unknown. His clinic was demolished for a new hospital addition to the new hospital that replaced the hospital that I had my procedure in, so my records are lost or destroyed. If I can find the name of the procedure (my friend called it a paste job), I or the White House team that manages all my medical care can find a medical facility that does this procedure. This time it will take more holes because before it was discs from L-2 to S-1, but now it is discs from T-9 to L-5. I have lost 1 inch or 25.4 mm in height & the pain is horrible even though my doctor is giving me alternating doses of Demerol & Morphine.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
intravertebral disc injections.

Detailed Answer:

I understand what you trying to say.
However with the knowledge I have in spine surgery and rehab surgeries, I knew only of the following,
Intradiscal injection of Fibrin Sealant with the Biostat Delivery Device appears safe and may improve pain and function in selected patients with discogenic pain.
The other is Intradiscal injection of the Recombinant growth factor, probably the most advanced biological therapeutic approaches.
Both of the above are viscous and increase the size of the disc and bring in normal shape.
Few also give steroid injections to relieve the pain but that is not inside the disc but epidural.
However these are not permanent procedures and the disc would lose the shape in few years.
Both of them are not FDA approved.
It would be difficult to point what was the procedures in 1985. I believe the nature of substance would have definitely changed since then. However the procedure could still be named same when it was done on your friend.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana