What does my CT scan test result indicate?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: how aggressive should the w/u be? My patient ,age 60 female, has hematuria,intermittent x 3 wks,and a ct scan showing a isolated 1.5 cm mass. Urololgy at a large midwestern university has given her an cytoscopy app in 21/2 wk. Is that too long to wait? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A 15 to 17 day wating period is acceptable if the hematuria is intermittent

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. I am a radiologist having done residency in cancer imaging. In my opinion a 1.5 cm mass in the urinary bladder is a small one.

2. Your patient is also complaining of hematuria which is intermittent.

3. Keeping in mind the above, cystoscopy is suggested to be done in 15 days time. The appointment given by large midwestern university is therefore acceptable.

4. A point to add would be to discuss with the urologist, if a biopsy is to be done during cystoscopy to make an attempt at confirming diagnosis.

5. Should the patient have continuus bleeding during the waiting period then an emergency cystoscopy is suggested.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar