What Does My CT Scan Report Indicate?
Concussion, need the CT head picture
Hi Zwilkie, thanks for asking from HealthcareMagic.
I can understand your concern. You had the head injury a month or two ago and you are having forgetfulness, confusion. Usually, such symptoms are found in--
- Concussion - It is a blunt head injury in which patient's CT head is normal and there is an episode of loss of consciousness. The concussion can cause confusion, headache, irritability, memory problem, even personality change for few months.
Repeated concussions can cause "concussion syndrome" in which patient might develop permanent memory damage, confusion, aggressiveness, irritability. It usually happens in sportsperson.
- Intracranial bleed like an extradural/subdural hematoma or cerebral contusions - You mentioned that CT head was showing some "red". I did not understand what does it mean?
Is it blood or fracture? Please send me the image or report. I want to see it. Because intracranial bleed can cause all the above symptoms. Symptoms usually resolve as blood resolves and edema settles.
The management in both scenarios is same--
- Avoid strenuous activity, sports.
- Take rest and do light work
- You should keep a diary to remember names, things to do. It will prevent confusion and gradually you will start to keep remembering things.
- Please also discuss your problem with family and friends. Their support is needed for recovery.
- Avoid repeated head injury. It can worsen the situation.
- You can have medication which can increase cognition and memory. These medications are Donepezil, Amantadine, Ginkgo biloba, Citicoline, Cerebrohydrosylate protein. You can start them after prescription from your doctor.
- Take neutron specific vitamin supplements which include B12, folic acid, pyridoxine, pantothenic acid.
- Avoid fasting and insomnia, mental stress. All these can impair memory.
Hope it will help. If any doubt, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care.