What does my CT scan report indicate?

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi I'm 47, having 9,500 PAC daily and calcium Ct scan shows score of 108 in the Ostial LAD. All other scores zero. Only other symptom is slight intermittent pain in chest. Taking baby aspirin, belbuca and Lipitor. Doctor suggests a left catherization of heart which I'm very nervous to do. Is this really necessary and if so, is calcification something that can be remedied by cath? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. XXXXXXX R.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can be

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome.
This is Dr Sameer, cardiologist.
You are having very frequent APC's. They must be because of some cause.
If the CT Angiography is showing something, it means that their is some blockage present which must be the cause of these frequent APC's and chest pain.
So I'll recommend to go ahead with Coronary Angiography. It is the gold standard test for diagnosis & it will clear all your doubts in a single go. Further management will depend on Angiography report. If blockage is >70%, than it will need intervention otherwise you will be kept on medical management only. And don't worry about Angiography, it is similar to CT Angiography, where XXXXXXX is being given & than images taken through Fluoroscopy. So go ahead with it, kill all your fear & doubts, otherwise you will always be in dilemma.
I hope I answered your query.
If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help you.
Thanks
Take Care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 11 hours later
You have been extremely helpful. I am just worried about catheterization because a friend of mine's heart was severely damaged during one. Are they generally safe? I have a trip coming up in March, do you think I can put this off for about 8 weeks? Thank you very much, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is very safe

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome back.
Thanks for the kind words. Angiography is very safe in a person with normal kidney function. Don't worry it is very safe & it does not damage the heart in any way. It is only a test very similar to CT Angio.
And doing it once will solve your problem & will be valid for a long time.
I hope i answered your query. If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help.
Wishing you a happy & healthy life
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad