question-icon

What does my CT scan report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 26 May 2015
Question: My mother aged 71 years, had been operated in May 2014 for a case of CA ascending colon. As a part of the follow up she was asked to undergo a CT Scan in May 2015.
The impression in the report mentions the following - " In a known case of CA ascending colon (operated) CECT chest and Abdomen reveals - Normal Study".
However as per the incidental finding the following is mentioned "Retrosternal goiter with cystic changes in Left lobe seen".
Please guide as to what the incidental finding imply.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh (52 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
This seems unrelated thyroid problem

Detailed Answer:
Hi

This means that her thyroid gland has got enlarged, probably for a very long time.
She needs evaluation by an endocrinologist and blood test for thyroid hormones. She may need treatment for her thyroid disease. This is not related to her colon cancer in any way. That is under control.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist