What does loss of dexterity in the right hand indicate?

Posted on Sat, 25 Feb 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: lost dexterity in my right hand fingers can not write my name

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do hand exercises.

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query.

Loss of dexterity o f hand may be due to multiple sclerosis ( M.S), carpal tunnel syndrome etc.

You haven't explain any history of M.S pr carpal tunnel syndrome and also you haven't tell for how long loss of dexterity started.

So, for carpal tunnel syndrome you need to have arthroscopic surgery to release the band which is causing constriction of nerves and vessels passing below it in your wrist joint.

For M.S you need to have physiotherapy, as conduction of the signals to and from your brain (through myline sheath) are slowed or halted by it.

But since myelin sheaths is able to repair itself early in the course of the disease so M.S starts healing itself.

I usually advise my patients to do hand exercises are used to improve hand function over time, hand exercises like~

Roll a pencil between the thumb and fingers.

Pick up small objects like button, coin etc.

I also advise my patients to have steroid injection for M.S.

If still problem doesn't resolve then you can discuss the use of transcranial magnetic stimulation (called TMS) with your doctor.

I hope it helps.

Thanks,

Dr.CHANDER XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Chander Mohan Singh

Orthopaedic Surgeon