What does large stools in a adolescent suggest?
We've been giving her Citrucel pills, which she won't actually take regularly.
Questions are: Are these large stools a symptom of a problem? Will they hurt her? If not a problem then my concerns are restricted to plumbing . . . what would reduce size so we're not dealing with toilet overflows and clogs?
Please read the answers below
Thank you for asking to healthcaremagic
I have gone through your queries carefully.
Please find the answers below
1)Large sized stools may be expected with bulking agents like citrucel and is not a major concern unless associated with abdominal discomfort,blood in stools,vomiting etc.Seek immediate medical attention if any of the symptoms occur.
But you should consult a doctor,if large sized stools had never occured in the past..
2)It may not hurt.What she reports ?
3)Reducing the frequency may help reduce the size or consider even stopping the pills after consulting your family physician.
Hope this answers your query.Further queries are welcome.
In this circumstance, I would recommend the below to reduce your concerns of plumbing and flushing toilet..
1)Stopping the intermittent use of the citrucel pill..
Safer alternatives for intermittent use that can help with the bowel movement like osmotic laxatives eg) lactulose,stimulant laxative eg)bisacodyl etc. The above said drugs have less bulking effect than citrucel.So larger stools are quite rare..
2)Encouraging fibre rich diet including fruits and fresh green vegetables would also help.
I would also suggest to consult a doctor to choose the suitable laxative that suits her.
Hope this answers your query
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Stool test done what does the report suggest
- What do you suggest for soft stool with constipation
- Blood from stool tight stool what is the reason
- What does slimy stool suggest
- What causes greenishyellow stool with difficutly in passing stools
- What do you suggest for blood in stool
- Painful to pass stools blood in stools what to do
- Blood in stool black stool sometimes what is the cause
- Vomitting loose stools worms in stools what are these
- Painful stools blood in stools what is happening
- Is Albuterol more than four times a week unsafe?
- What does a healthy balanced diet contain?
- Is prolonged Tramadol intake dangerous?
- What does my ultrasound scan report indicate?
- Does Dayquil increase BP?
- What causes prolonged periods?
- What causes severe chronic headache with history of VP shunt surgery?
- Suggest treatment for cyst and stage 3 kidney disease
- Suggest treatment for dry mouth and numbness in throat
- What casues myoclonic jerks in arm?