Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

What does high IgE level indicate?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2013
Answered : 1242 Questions

I have done my igE report from lab, below are the result can you please tell what it indicate

igE, total 227.0 IU/mL

Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your total IgE is high.

Detailed Answer:
I had gone through your query.

Your level of Total IgE level is high.

Total IgE level exceeding 100 IU/mL is highly suggestive of allergy in adults.
Total IgE may also be raised in parasitic infections, immune diseases,cigarette smokers, with alcohol consumption and in certain cancers. It is not 100% specific to allergy.

This test is sensitive but not specific so you need other tests to identify the cause.
It is important to know your medical history,actual symptoms ,to perform a physical examination and allergy tests like skin allergy tests.

You may need to consult a allergist doctor and get examined.

Hope it was of help.
Let me know if you have any other question or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to assist you further.


Dr.Rovena Murati
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor