What does high IgE level indicate?

Excellent

Question
Hi

I have done my igE report from lab, below are the result can you please tell what it indicate

igE, total 227.0 IU/mL

thanks
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your total IgE is high.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
I had gone through your query.

Your level of Total IgE level is high.

Total IgE level exceeding 100 IU/mL is highly suggestive of allergy in adults.
Total IgE may also be raised in parasitic infections, immune diseases,cigarette smokers, with alcohol consumption and in certain cancers. It is not 100% specific to allergy.

This test is sensitive but not specific so you need other tests to identify the cause.
It is important to know your medical history,actual symptoms ,to perform a physical examination and allergy tests like skin allergy tests.

You may need to consult a allergist doctor and get examined.

Hope it was of help.
Let me know if you have any other question or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to assist you further.

Regards!

Dr.Rovena Murati