• question-icon

What does bone marrow edema mean?

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: MRI in 14 years old girl shows : small focus of T2W hyperintensity in the epiphysis and adjoining metaphysis medial aspect distal femur consisten with marrow oedema. also grade 2 meniscal signal anterior horn lateral meniscus. what does that mean and shall I be worried? Tumor ? she had arthroscopic surgery on that knee 2 years ago already. thank you.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No,it doesn't mean tumour.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

No,it doesn't mean tumour.
Bone marrow edema is a condition in which there is excessive amount of fluid in the bone marrow.
Most common causes are physical injuries to the bone and surrounding tissues due to bone fractures,bruises or tears in the ligament tissue.
This is a benign finding and she need conservative treatment.
She also need clinical examination so,you please consult your orthopedician.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 30 minutes later
thank you for your reply. what about the second part of the finding, being the grade 2....... what about this? also, conservative treatment (being ICE and physio has not been working). I forgot to say that she has this condition for years, and the arthro didn't sort it out, nor physio. I don't believe anymore in physio (ultrasound, heat, some exercise, all that gave no result whatsoever). thank you. she also has pains in both knees, not only one, but we did the MRI only on one knee this time around. Thx again!
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX
Thanks for writing back

The normal appearing meniscus is uniformly low in signal in both T1- and T2-weighted images.
Grade II signal abnormalities represent linear or globular increased signal in the central portion of the meniscus,which does not reach an articular surface.Grade II signal generally has a low association with meniscal tear.
However, extensive areas of grade II signal have a higher association with meniscal tear.

It is important to exclude meniscal tear.Since patient is not responding to conservative methods,so she need surgical intervention.
She should be properly examined by a orthopedician.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist