What does an itchy hard bump on the scrotum indicate?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hello. I am being treated by my doctor for a minor bacterial flocculates -- restricted to a small area of my chest. Dr. prescribed neomycin 5 days ago -- and the situation is improving slowly. When applying the neomycin, I felt an itch on my scrotum, when I investigated it was not a red patch or bump as on my chest --- but a pea sized hard bump just under the skin. There is no redness or pain - other than it is a noticeable feeling when it pulls. It is not near by testes, it is just below the skin of the scrotum.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need pictures for further comments.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

May be you are taking about bacterial folliculitis on your chest which can be treated by topical neomycin.

The pea sized hard bump below scrotal skin could be cystic acne or a small boil but I will need to inspect the lesion in order to diagnose correctly.

Means I will put this possibility first,so it would be helpful for me if you could send clinical picture of that bump so that I can guide you better.

Also send me picture of your folliculitis over chest.

However,this bump usually subsides by itself without any definitive treatment in most of cases but if in case not,it can also be treated easily with appropriate medications.

Awaiting your response.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 5 hours later
can I send pictures as a follow up question?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,you can.

Detailed Answer:

You can send pictures as follow-up question.

Awating your response.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 13 minutes later
I just uploaded two pictures, One close of the scrotal cyst..and the other of the chest rash
Brief Answer:
Second picture looks t be having bacterial folliculitis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for sending pictures.

The 1st image is completely blurred,I cant see anything in that.If possible kindly take some clear pictures and re-send it again.

2nd image is somewhat good,it looks t be having bacterial folliculitis,so you can continue to apply neomycin but oral small course of antibiotics (cefadroxyl or cefixime) can also be taken for speedy recovery.

You can discuss it to your treating doctor.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 4 hours later
I added two new images. They are as clear as I can get. The cyst or growth is barely visible - it is just below the surface of the scrotal skin. It can seem a bit red perhaps. I hope these are helpful. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bump or swelling is not clearly visible so it needs to be palpated.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for sharing pictures.

I have carefully seen the three new images you uploaded which appear similar.

Yes,the bump or growth is not clearly visible, hence I am unable to arrive at an assured conclusion. However based on what I see it could be cystic swelling or lipoma or small boil - but I am not 100%sure as it is hardly visible. In this circumstance we need to palpate the bump or swelling in order to rule out above diagnosis.

Therefore, it would be worthwhile to seek an appointment of dermatologist or surgeon who will examine it and can make a clear diagnosis to start appropriate treatment.

All the three possibilities are treatable. So I wouldn't be overly worried.

If there is any further query,feel free to ask.

Dr.SandipKabra