What does a swollen lump near the eyelid indicate?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have a lump in the center of my left eyelid. I have had problems with excessive tearing I that eye for years. The upper part of the eyelid is extremely swollen and is what led me to find the lump.I have mild blurred vision in that eye. It is slso drooping and appears lower than the right eye. I have autoimmune diseases including vasculitis. I also have swelling in my lymph glands in multiple parts of my body. Any ideas about what's happening
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chalazion.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
By the description it appears to be a chalazion.This is a collection of sebaceous cheesy material.Give it fomentation twice a day for 5 minutes each.Assess it after about one week.In most cases it resolves.Rarely we have to remove it surgically.
Any further queries in this regard,please do get back to me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 18 minutes later
I have had swelling in that eye off and on before there was a lump. I will attach an image.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chalazion

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to me with photograph.As the photograph doesn't show the lump very clearly,another possibility of allergy will also be kept.If allergy,the resolution is quicker.The chalazion lump takes few weeks to go away.
Anti allergy drops can be put in and will respond if swelling is of allergic origin.
I would appreciate if a photo of lump can be forwarded to me to make a more accurate diagnosis.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 23 minutes later
The lump can only be felt and not seen. It feels rubbery and like a flattened pea. An allergy would show up in both eyes, the watering has been going on for 5+years in only the left eye. None of it is painful. I know people are not symmetrical, but that left eye is getting lower. I looked at old pictures to be positive. I do feel a softer mass right under my brow bone it's 1/4 of an inch long and when pushed feels like pushing on your cheek. Soft and has a little give.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chalazion

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Good of you to get back to me.
This is chalazion.So anti allergy drops are not an answer.Apply an antibiotic eye ointment at bed time if you are not able to get it hot fomentation at bed time for a couple of weeks will be helpful.There definitely is an issue of left upper lid dropping a bit it is not likely that this drop is due to lump.As the lump is so small that it's unlikely to cause a lid droop.
Wait for a couple of weeks for the lump to dissolve and if this asymmetry is still there then further steps are to be taken.