Ask a Urologist   »  

What does PSA of 0.13 indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016
Excellent

Urologist
Question
Dear Doctor,

I had a prostatectomy in 2007 and have had regular blood tests. Today I was told my PSA was 0.13 and she informed me that was in range. However, I’m not sure she realized I had a prostatectomy. My research states it should be 0.02. I’m wondering if this is cause for concern. I just took it for granted when I was informed it was within range. When I got home, I notice the number on the print out and that’s when, out of curiosity I look up the subject matter.
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not to be worried It is within normal range.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have undergone Prostatectomy in 2007 and have your recent Serum PSA to be 0.13ng.

Please note that even after prostatectomy small quantity PSA is being secreted by accessory prostatic tissue in the body..

The PSA values from 0-4ng is considered to be normal .

Please do not worry about it as long as it does not exceed above 4 .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,
I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What does PSA of 0.13 indicate? 6 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Dr XXXXXXX

I will sleep soundly this evening. I have another question, but not related to this and am unsure if I am able to ask for specific physicians, in which I would ask for you again given your expertise.

In any case, thank you very much and I will close the discussion and create the review of maximum stars.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for appreciation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up and appreciation .Please post your query even though not related to my speciality without any hesitation .I will certainly try to address it based on my long experience for 40 years
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.