What does BP of 141/75 indicate?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I currently have bp 141/75 with heart rate 96 and bp monitor shows hypertension symbol plus irregular heartbeat.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unlikley to be high blood pressure!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this troubling thought resulting from your blood pressure measurement. Yes, a blood pressure value of 140 and more qualifies you for hypertension. This is not a one time measurement but, repeated measurements that stay elevated over time. It needs the human sense of interpretation to address this and that is what your monitor lacks. the monitor raises the question but cannot conclude on the diagnosis.

Your monitor raises a question that needs to be addressed. And with the stress testing and cardiovascular investigation testings you are going through, you would get a more informed interpretation on this blood pressure and the heart rhythm. I am sure with repeated testing, your monitor would not shown the same signal of high blood pressure.

In all, stay calm. This would be further investigated during your stress testings. More reliable figures and interpretation would be made by human and not automated machines.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.