What doe bumps near vagina indicate?

Posted on Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Since I was in 8th grade, I always got bumps on my vagina or near by vagina. I get confused what sebaceous cysts are and vaginal cysts?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: These bumps are not due to cysts. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. From the symptoms that you have described, these bumps sound like small irritated hair follicles causing folliculitis or clogged pores. Folliculitis starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle. The vaginal or sebaceous cyst is formed when a gland is blocked, causing a fluid-filled cyst to develop. The cyst is not an infection, although it can be caused by an infection, inflammation, or physical blockage (mucus or other impediment). It is usually larger in size and does not subside on its own. The bumps that you had are not likely to be cysts. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 hours later
What can I do to prevent these bumps because sometimes they can get painful depending on what I wear?
Brief Answer: mentioned below. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Following life style changes are helpful to prevent future recurrence: 1) Take healthy diet with anti oxidant (like Vit-E/ C, selenium, zinc, lycopene etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water/ juice for better systemic circulation. 2) Do not touch/ wipe out genital area too much. Also avoid inserting objects or douching inside vagina. 3) Maintain genital hygiene with proper shaving & cleaning. Do regular physical exercise by means of jogging/ walking/ treadmill etc. 4) Wear only clean & cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting clothes or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation. 5) Avoid using any type of chemical cosmetics or soap or condoms. 6) Avoid stress/ tension/ mental upset by regular deep breathing (20-30 times)/ yoga. Take a sound sleep for complete relaxation. You can use a steroid based antiseptic cream for relief. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN