What do weird sensation on penis and tightness in urethra suggest?

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: hi, for the past few weeks i've had odd sensation sin my penis. it started as a feeling of tightness in the urethra so my doctor ran a yrine check. it tested negative for sti's but the white blood cell count was a bit above XXXXXXX so he first prescribe azyromicyn which didnt work, then doxcycyline for a week. the tightness has gone but im getting these occasional 'ping' sensations in the tip of my penis. i had a similar reaction to ciprocylin several years ago so im wondering if its the same thing?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Urethritis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care questions

You recently been having a pain in the urethra and have seen your doctor who has prescribed azithromycin and doxycycline. The feeling is improved but you are still getting ping sensations. From your description it sounds like you have urethritis. Your doctor did prescribe the correct medication and overall things are improved. I would counsel you to what a few more days to see if your infection will resolve as the antibiotics finish doing there work. It is possible that the antibiotic has done its work its now up to our body to finish the job. I recommend waiting but if the symptoms continue you may need another round of antibiotics

I hope this answers your question. Please contact HCM again with your health care questions and concerns.

Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 10 minutes later
hi doc, thanks for getting back to me. how long should i wait till getting another round of Doxy? I finished the 1 week course on thursday evening so its been three days. as I understand it the Doxy stays in your system for a week after. so should i wait till next thursday and if I still have sensations in the tip get another round of AB's or leave it a bit longer?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
wait until Thursday

Detailed Answer:
Yes I agree with you. I would recommend waiting until Thursday to decide if another round of antibiotics would be indicated.

Dr. Ronald Schubert