What do these mammogram reports indicate?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Cancer
Question: If a 2015 mammogram result may be inaccurate, how accurate would a 2016 mammogram result be if the 2015 result may be inaccurate and the comparison between the two could not be proficiently made. Would you need to retest to be sure of the 2015 and 2016 results, especially so thay you already have breast cancer.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
the images may be reviewed

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You have not provided any details regarding the exact problem. But still, if there is confusion, we always get the images reviewed by another radiologist. Both the previous and current images together.

Usually that will clear the confusion.

Hope this helps. I will be available for follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 25 minutes later
I live in XXXX, XXXX, and was diagnosed with breast cancer in XXXXXXX 2014. In the news, it was reported that patients who had a mammogram from x time to x time may have received faulty results because the machine failed to meet federal standards. The same facility who had the faulty machines are saying there is no concern bc in 2016 the result was ok. How could they properly make any comparison if in 2014 and 2015 their machines failed to meet federal standards? What if 2014 and 2015 were wrong so you cant make a proper comparison in 2016. Shouldnt a patient have the tests reviewed by another facility for peace of mind. What if the patient used the same faulty machine all 3 times? Where is the proper comparison?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ok I understand now

Detailed Answer:
Unfortunately we can go back and take the images again. I would suggest to review all the images at another established center. Maybe take a fresh image now. That should give enough peace of mind.

Let me know if any further doubts are there..

Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 18 minutes later
Thank you. That is what I really needed to hear. Is there any professional standard for these types of problems or simply peace of mind standard?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, definitely professional

Detailed Answer:
If you get the images reviewed by another certified center, they will definitely use the professional benchmarks, not just saying everything OK.

Take Care
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 17 minutes later
The same facility who had the faulty machines is saying the results are ok bc they dont want to pay for retesting. I think that is wrong and they should pay for retesting at another facility.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
I understand

Detailed Answer:
Yes what you are saying makes sense but I don't think they will ever do it. Maybe you can appeal to the regulatory authorities there.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad