What do these lab reports indicate?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: I am attaching the reports and am expecting a reply on this . Please review the history of discussion with Dr Lekshmi and revert on the reports
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Urinary tract infection, Group B streptococci colonization

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic for your health concern

Hope you are doing well. I have gone through our previous discussion and the reports you have currently attached. The reports indicate the presence of urinary tract infection (UTI). UTI needs to be promptly treated with antibiotic, especially during pregnancy. Nitrofurantoin is the antibiotic of choice. Nitrofurantoin 100 mg should be taken 4 times daily for 10 days to clear up the infection.

The reports also indicate presence of Group B streptococci colonization. This bacteria is found in 25% of normal healthy women's rectum, urine and vagina and do not cause any problems, unless during labour and delivery, at which time the bacteria can be passed to the baby causing infection. So since your daughter tested positive for group B strep in urine, make sure that these results are shown to the obstetrician during labor and delivery, at which time she will require prophylaxis with intravenous penicillin. Appropriate prophylaxis with penicillin will prevent transmission of infection to the baby.

Both these conditions are very common during pregnancy. With appropriate management there is nothing to be worried about.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad