• question-icon

What do these lab reports indicate?

Posted on Fri, 28 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hiii,
My mother in law is of 65 years old. She had developed a lesion in her liver last year, which has increased in size now. I am attaching all the reports related to her ongoing treatment. Can you please explain what the reports suggests and how can it be taken care of.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probable liver cancer with background cirrhosis

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

I went through her reports.
It looks like she is probably having liver cancer with background cirrhosis.
Cirrhosis is a condition in which the liver is scarred and shrunken. It can lead to liver cancer.

A biopsy may be done to confirm the lesion in the liver is indeed cancer.
Further treatment may be planned after that.

Dr.R.K.
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 11 minutes later
Hii sir,
In the afp, tumor marker test, which i had attached earlier, the results are within the referenced limit. We understood that it rules out cirrhosis.. Please explain the test report. Regarding the same.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Liver biopsy

Detailed Answer:
AFP is a marker for liver cancer. It need not be raised in all cases.
Since the CT images point towards liver cancer and the AFP is within normal limits, I suggested liver biopsy for confirmation.
You can consult with her doctor for a liver biopsy.

Dr.R.K.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist