What do severe fatigue and weight loss in a teenager indicate?

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hello my son is a 13 year old male. He has had VERY red and cold hands for 2 months. He's had extreme fatigue, lost 10 pounds, and pain in his back all the time. Labs were done and these are his abnormalities: there is a 2+ protein in his urine, his protein/creatinine ratio is 1043 and the "in range" number should be between 22-128. Lymphocytes are low at 830 and red blood cells are high at 6.16 what does all this mean?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
He may have some kidney disease.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question.
I can understand your concern.

He has +2 protein in urine.

It suggest some kidney disease which leads to leakage of albumin(protein) in urine. It can leads to low protein in serum.

So he should go for complete blood count, serum creatinine level, serum protein level, serum cholesterol and urine routine and microscopic examination & 24 hour urinary protein.

His protein creatinine ratio is abnormal so he need proper examination by nephrologist.

All his symptoms are due to kidney disease so investigate in that direction and take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your question.
If you have any doubts then feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer.
Thanks for using health care magic.
Wish you a very good health.