What do raspy and crackling sounds during exhalation indicate?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: For the last 4 nights when I exhale I feel and hear a slight frying, crackling sound. I've been taking an expectorant for 3 days, and I no longer cough up plugs of phlegm. It is normal for me when I first lie down to cough up a small plug of phlegm. I prefer sleeping on my right side, but that worsens the exhaling raspy sounds. I have no fever or any other symptoms than the slightly noisy breathing. My coughs are productive but just of thin mucous. Lying on my back propped up on pillows lessens the raspy exhaling sounds. What do you recommend I do? My email address is YYYY@YYYY
My sinuses are always draining, I'm used to it, and I'm used to blowing my nose frequently, but the raspy exhaling sounds at night are new.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Discussion follows

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for the query.
The crackling sound is due to fluid in the alveoli of the lungs and is worse on lying down and improves with sitting up.
Such fluid accumulation may be due to decreased pumping action of the heart.
Water pills ( diuretic) along with restriction of salt and fluids would help.
It may be a good idea to see a doctor and confirm my impression.

Do get back to me if you have further queries.