Owl Image

What do my lab test reports indicate?

Owl Image
Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Question
Request your opinion on my XXXXXXX checkup report attached.

Findings:
1. High LDL Cholestrol
2. High Uric Acid
3. Low Vitamin D
4. I have also done Ultrasound Abdomen which says "Mild Fatty Liver"

Kindly provide your advise on this.
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Internal Doctor Category

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Normal report

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have gone through the blood reports. The report is normal.

My recommendations for out of range findings are:

1. LDL Cholesterol - need to control it with low fat, high fiber diet and regular exercise. It includes diet that is low in fatty foods (cheese, butter, ghee, icecreams, pastries, cookies, etc) and high in fruits and salad. Can repeat the test after 6m to 1 y. Medicine not needed.

2. High uric acid- Also can control it with diet. No need of medicines if joints are not swollen and hurting.

3. Low vitamin D - take supplements of vitamin D in dose of 60,000 IU every weeks for 1 month and then monthly for 2-3 months. Recheck Vitamin D after 6 months.

4. Fatty liver can happen due to fatty foods, alcohol, medicines etc. So these need to be avoided.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: What do my lab test reports indicate? 17 hours later
Thanks for the response. Please see below my comments and advise.

1. One of the doctor advised to take Atorvastatin 10 mg once a day to control the LDL levels for short duration. Do you think this is absolutely needed?

2. I have been advised to drink lot of water and also to control the diet as suggested.

3. I have been advised to take D-Rise 60000 IU once a week for a month and then once in a month for 8 months. What is your opinion on taking D-Rise as mentioned or do you have any other recommendation?

4. Do you think I should take Liv 52 tablet for sometime to improve the health of Liver?

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Atorvastatin not needed initially

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Atorvastatin is a lipid lowering drug. It is safe drug. But according to recommendations low fat diet and exercise should be tried for atleast 3-6 months. Secondly lipid lowering drugs are advised when LDL is above 190. So it is not absolutely needed.

Regarding drinking water, current guidelines is to drink as guided by the thirst. Nowadays its not recommended to drink excessively in normal states of hydration. Little bit extra fluids help in excreting the toxins.

D-rise is a brand for vitamin D and is available in the dose of 60,000IU.
Every doctor can suggest this supplement differently. You can take either this regimen or the way I suggested.
It is a fat soluble vitamin and can accumulate in body. You can be careful about its side effects that can happen if taken excessively. If symptoms like nausea, vomiting, muscle cramps, altered sensorium, constipation, and weight loss appear, then discontinue the supplement and consult doctor. Regular monitoring of vitamin D will also help.

There is no need for you to take Liv 52. Though its a safe, time tried and tested medicine. But there is no need for you. Medicine should be taken only when really needed.

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: What do my lab test reports indicate? 29 hours later
Thanks for the detailed answer.

Just one clarification on Vitamin D. My wife also had Vitamin D deficiency same as my level and the Gynaecologist suggest Depura liquid 60k(Vitamin D) - one a week for 3 months and then once in a month of 3 months. I am not very sure if taking Depura liquid once a week for 3 months is ok because generally the Vitamin D is suggested one a week for a month and then monthly for few months.

Also, can I also take Depura so that we both take same medicine?

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you both can take depura

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Yes, you both can take Depura liquid 60k weekly for 1 month and then monthly for few months. It is better to space the dose to avoid excessive accumulation in the body. Watch for its toxic effects as mentioned earlier. If toxic effects happen then its time to stop the supplement.

Otherwise, it can be continued until Vitamin D levels normalize.

Dr Vaishalee