What do my echocardiogram test results indicate?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I recently had an echocardiogram with the following result
Normal LV size and systolic function; ? mild concentric LVH/ ? borderline LVH; RV ? borderline dilated with normal systolic function; LA mildly dilated; RA mildly dilated; No significant valvular abnormalities; Trivial R, IVC 28mmHg, est PASP 37mmHg; ? echodensity/?artefact in aortic arch

Because of the artefact in the aortic arch a CT Angiogram was carried out which showed no abnormality.

What do the results of the echocardiogram mean? Do I need a transoesophegal echocardiogram?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully reviewed your cardiac ultrasound report and would explain that the main clues to consider (facing your echocardiogram report) for further investigation are :

-mildly dilated right ventricle with mildly dilated LA and RA.

The above findings may be explained by one of two clinical scenarios:

a) Chronic pulmonary disease (asthma), which leads to impaired blood flow through the lung with subsequent increased pulmonary vascular resistance and pulmonary artery systolic pressure. This later scenario will adversely effect the heart; mainly right heart chambers leading to their dilation.

b) A congenital heart septal defect may lead to intracardiac shunt of blood flow (more frequently interatrial septal defect) with a consequent dilation of RA, LA and Right ventricle.

That is why it is important to primarily exclude potential congenital heart defect.
In this regard, TEE (transesophageal echocardiogram) is the diagnostic test of choice for ruling in/out such a cardiac disorder.

Coming to this point, a recommendation for performing a TEE seems to be a diagnostic alternative properly justified facing your cardiac ultrasound findings.

So, I agree with your doctor recommendation about TEE and would suggest to follow the proposed diagnostic strategy.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Feel free to ask me again whenever you have any other uncertainties!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri