What do my FNA test results indicate?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: An FNA of a .93 x .68 x .82 cm nodule in my thyroid found: "The specimen is cellular with aggregates of follicular cells showing nuclear enlargement, anisonucleosis and occasional microfollicle formation. The features are suggestive of follicular neoplasm but an adenomatoid nodule cannot be excluded." The surgeon wants to remove the lobe immediately. Since the results are inconclusive for cancer and cancer is so rare in thyroid nodules, should I have that surgery now? What's the risk of waiting? I, a 67 yead old male.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The earlier the better.

Detailed Answer:
The features described are suggestive of malignancy.
The nodule you described is small ( under 1 cm) and if you do the surgery now and if malignancy is confirmed by biopsy, than the surgery would be the treatment.
If you wait and postpone it, probably you will need radioactive iodine too in order to destroy the remaining cells of the thyroid gland.
In my practice i do recommend surgery too, to patient with your problem.
Hope i managed to clarify your query.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad