What do elongated uvula, sore throat, indigestion and diarrhoea indicate despite being on antibiotics?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 8 Oct 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had an enlongated uvula for about 4 or five weeks, and a slightly sore throat on and off. I aslo felt like my eyes were sore and have had indigestion and watery stool for some four weeks.. What might it be. On the fourth of January, I had to go to the doctor for a sore throut with lots of white stuff on my tonsils. They said it was not strep. I took antibiotics that cleared that up but still have the symptoms above.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

May need throat swabs and blood cultures

Detailed Answer:

We will try to help you in the best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems like some infection likely bacterial involving both respiratory and gastric tract.

Atypical bugs like mycoplasma or chlamydia can do so but usually involve lower respiratory tract.

But still, a baseline work up with chest X-ray along with throat swab cultures and blood cultures are recommended as incompletely treated or partially treated infections may persist despite antibiotics course.

In such cases, cultures may identify the exact bug causing the infection and the antibiotics it is sensitive to.

Meanwhile, if symptoms persist OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or Ibuprofen along with antihistamines like Cetrizine or Loratidine can help.

Saline water gargles and steam inhalations will also be helpful.

If symptoms persist an ENT specialist review will be needed to carefully examine the uvula as well as other pharynx structures.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 days later
I went to the doctor, told him my symptoms and that I had take azithromycin. He has prescribed me Ciproflaxon, 500mg for 8 days, three times a day. My throat symptoms seem to be getting worse, I have been on it for one day. How long does it take for this drug to get into the system and begin working?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 8 hours later
Brief Answer:

Onset is with in few hours but therapeutic results may take up to 72 hours

Detailed Answer:

Though the mechanism of action of the new antibiotic may start within hours after the first dose it takes 2-4 doses to maintain steady therapeutic levels.

But antibiotics effectiveness is judged usually by persistent signs of infection beyond 72 hours of the onset and in such cases antibiotics, resistance is suspected.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Saddiq Ulabidin, General & Family Physician