What do elongated uvula, sore throat, indigestion and diarrhoea indicate despite being on antibiotics?
May need throat swabs and blood cultures
We will try to help you in the best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.
Based on the history you have shared, it seems like some infection likely bacterial involving both respiratory and gastric tract.
Atypical bugs like mycoplasma or chlamydia can do so but usually involve lower respiratory tract.
But still, a baseline work up with chest X-ray along with throat swab cultures and blood cultures are recommended as incompletely treated or partially treated infections may persist despite antibiotics course.
In such cases, cultures may identify the exact bug causing the infection and the antibiotics it is sensitive to.
Meanwhile, if symptoms persist OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or Ibuprofen along with antihistamines like Cetrizine or Loratidine can help.
Saline water gargles and steam inhalations will also be helpful.
If symptoms persist an ENT specialist review will be needed to carefully examine the uvula as well as other pharynx structures.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Onset is with in few hours but therapeutic results may take up to 72 hours
Though the mechanism of action of the new antibiotic may start within hours after the first dose it takes 2-4 doses to maintain steady therapeutic levels.
But antibiotics effectiveness is judged usually by persistent signs of infection beyond 72 hours of the onset and in such cases antibiotics, resistance is suspected.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Saddiq Ulabidin, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for UTI post urinary catheterization?
- Suggest treatment for cough during consumption while treating bulbar palsy
- What causes burning feeling in underarm with painful tiny bumps?
- Suggest treatment for pain in shoulders, upper arm and back
- What causes irregular heart beat on exertion in a person post cardiac...
- Suggest treatment for bleeding from gums
- Suggest treatment for the pain associated with post-herpetic neuralgia
- What does persistent nasal bleeding indicate?
- What causes Raynaud's phenomenon?
- What causes chronic heaviness under left rib cage and shortness of breath?