question-icon

What could cause difficulty in moving about in an 80-year-old type-1 diabetic?

Posted on Fri, 23 Nov 2018
Question: My wife is an eighty year old type 1 diabetic. Her annual physical showed no major problems but she is having great trouble getting around without help. This problem started over a year ago after a major bout with the flu and pneumonia. She was hospitalize for 5 days and spent 19 days in re-hab. Could there be other reasons for this problem?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Possible complications of the diabetes.

Detailed Answer:

Diabetes may result in several complications such as balance issues, poor coordination due to peripheral neuropathy, vision problems, muscles weakness etc. All these possible complications of diabetes may affect the ability to move and walk freely.

Getting evaluated by a neurologist is necessary to understand better the exact cause of your wife's issues.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Erion Spaho,
Neurologist, Surgical
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical