What could cause abnormal weight loss

Excellent

Question
I abruptly, unintentionally started to lose weight quickly.
So far, 12 lbs in 12 days. No other symptoms. Normal weight 162.
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Weight & Lifestyle

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unhealthy weight loss. Tests required.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Yes, looks like your weight loss is more than healthy normal.

Some deliberations I would like to suggest in here. Senile (elderly) weight loss is commonest for your age as the body takes its own course to settle down eventually. This will be vary individually, as per one's lifestyle and habits.

If no other medical history till date, you may want to check on the thyroids. They are not common but important. A complete body check will be required initially.

Dietary changes, will also contribute to an extent. So does your physical activity changes.

If none of above, and you are in pink of health otherwise - it pays to visit a doctor for check up and see if all is well otherwise. Healthy ageing will need a constant vigil with your body.

Do make note of weight going forward to help the doctor and yourself to prevent apprehensions of any major reasons.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
MBBS, MD.
Consultant Physician.