What causes yellowish discoloration of skin?

Question
My husband went to a PCP doc...and a gastro. He is totally yellow. Gastro and PCP are not communicating. Gastro gave hubby 2 water pills - he lost the fluid (yea), but 20 pounds as well. Took him off one water pill. This doc moves at a GLACIER pace. Wants MORE blood work and to see hubby in THREE weeks. This has been going on for 2 months. We NEED results now. I am currently experiencing an increase of migraines, panic attacks and depression. BTW- I DO NOT like my psychiatrist. To scared to see him. I cannot take care of my husband if I cannot take care of myself.
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs a pin point diagnosis

Detailed Answer:

It seems to be an administrative issue than a medical problem. If the Gastroenterologist can communicate well with you and share the records with PCP all should be fine. You husband can get well if there is a proper co ordination. You can see at a hospital where things are under one roof and better co ordination.

Just yellowish discoloration cannot help me know anything about your husband's problem, however I understood that the major and commoner infections were ruled out. But there are other reasons for icterus from autoimmunity, drug induced, alcoholic hepatitis, errors of metabolism.

I think you should talk move to a different institution where things are more organized and planned. You can ask your insurance company for suggestions.