What causes yellowish cyst on tonsil?

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Dental Health
Question: Hey I'm 21 yr old female never smoked or drank or used tobacco I've had a swollen right tonsil it's not really the tonsil that is swelled it looks more like a cyst on the tonsil it's yellowish whitish it's not tonsil stones I've had those but they stopped occurring after I had my second baby. The tonsil has never hurt or give me any problems but I am a worry wart and inspect my throat/mouth like everyday and I noticed I have white stuff at the back of my tongue that doesnt look like the leukoplakia this is just like bright white little patches doesnt look like blosters and the dont hurt but I immediately started scrubbing it with a toothbrush it's still there I am making an appointment in the morning to see an ent. But would like to know do you think I have anything to worry about I'm freaking out thanks
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
candidiasis, lichen planus, biopsy

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query, I have gone through your query.

From what I understand the tonsil concerns have settled now. If you still persist to have tonsil problems, let me know in the follow up. We can discuss about it.

As far as white patch on the back of the tongue is concerned, I have two possibilities - fungal infection like candidiasis or lichen planus. It is difficult to come to a diagnosis without looking clinically. If you can upload the images of the lesion, we will be able to give a proper idea about the lesion.

If you cannot post a picture, then my suggestion is that you should see an oral physician where they physically examine the lesions under broad light and do some chair-side investigations like toluidine blue staining to rule out this from other premalignant lesions. If that test also fails then you can get the lesion biopsied for the confirmation of the diagnosis.

I hope my answer will help you, take care.
If any queries are there reply me back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad