What causes white patch at back of tongue and over the tonsil?

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hey I'm 21 yr old female never smoked or drank or used tobacco I've had a swollen right tonsil for maybe about a year now I'm not really sure it's not really the tonsil that is swelled it looks more like a cyst on the tonsil it's yellowish whitish it's not tonsil stones I've had those but they stopped occurring after I had my second baby. The tonsil has never hurt or give me any problems but I am a worry wart and inspect my throat/mouth like everyday and I noticed I have white stuff at the back of my tongue that doesnt look like the leukoplakia this is just like bright white little patches doesnt look like blisters and the dont hurt but I immediately started scrubbing it with a toothbrush it's still there I am making an appointment in the morning to see an ent. But would like to know do you think I have anything to worry about I'm freaking out thanks oh and I have seasonal allergies and post nasal drip very thick to where I have to try to clear my throat often
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
keratosis tonsils, oral thrush.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.

You reported that you noticed white patch at the back of the tongue and over the tonsil. In my opinion, white patch at back of throat and over the tonsil, can be because of 2 reasons.
1. Keratosis of the tonsil.
2. Oral thrush of fungal infection.

Keratosis tonsils is treated with surgery. I will prefer surgical removal since you suffer with recurring tonsil concerns. Until then we can start betadine gargling empericallay to remove the keratosis plaque. There is no oral medicines for this condition.

Oral thrush should be treated with candid mouth paint for local application and oral antifungal drugs. Your local oral surgeon will know about oral antifungal drugs.

Both conditions are not sinister. So you need not be concerned.
You can discuss this with your doctor and get treated.

Hope my answers have helped you.
Pleased to help you further. Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad