What causes wet lung disease?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My Pulmonologist told me I have "wet lung disease". I looked it up and it seems to encompass several things. What is it?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
By wet lungs in your case, he could have meant pulmonary edema

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic!

In your case, since you are suffering from pulmonary hypertension, he could have meant pulmonary edema or ARDS.

Here are the simple explanations you are looking for. Heart pumps blood to the lungs for gaseous exchange through pulmonary vessels. If any resistance is being faced during this pumping either due to any pathology on lungs, it leads to increased back pressure or pulmonary hypertension.

Lungs normally has small balloon like inflated sacs, called alveoli for gas exchange which are covered by certain kind of sphingolipids or lecithin. It keeps these sacs opened, and allows normal gas exchange. If it is filled with puss, debris or increased fluids are pushed out of blood vessels into these, either due to heart failure or some infective origins, it leads to conditions called wet lungs.

I know such explanation are quite boring, but here it was since you have asked. If you need to ask more details, kindly share your reports, detailed history and medicines you are using so that I can guide you further. Hoping you a speedy recovery. If you dont have any more questions, please close the discussion. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D