Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

162 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes welts on upper thigh?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1919 Questions
Hi, I have these red 1 inch x 1 inch welts right under by butt on my upper right thigh. It isn't on the other leg but little welts are appearing on the bikini line of the other leg. It appears to be irritated ingrown hairs from working out in sweaty clothes for long periods of time, but I am no exactly sure. They hurt a lot and seem to get worse by the day. It started with one, and now there are multiple. The first welt healed once I pulled a little hair out of it but I Don't understand why I am getting such painful ingrown hairs.
Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload a photograph

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand that you are concerned about skin lesions that you are having on your legs and groin.

From your description, I would consider the diagnosis of folliculitis. It is a bacterial infection of the hair follicle openings.

It is quite common if you wax or shave your legs, especially reverse shaving.

Please upload a clear photograph of the lesion so that I can assess better and suggest appropriate treatment options.

Dr. Johny Chacko
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes welts on upper thigh? 8 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 16 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the photograph.

I see that you are having blisters which have ruptured to form erosions and have also got infected.

With your history and picture, I would consider the possibilities of Bullous impetigo and Pemphigus vulgaris.

Bullous impetigo is a bacterial infection which subsides with antibiotics.

Pemphigus is a more serious disorder which needs prompt attention.

You need a course of antibiotics like cephalexin.

I would suggest you to consult a dermatologist to get relevant tests like pus culture and a skin biopsy to rule out pemphigus.

Hope this helps you.

Take care.

Dr. Johny Chacko
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist