What causes weight gain even after exercise and proper diet?

Excellent

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
My weight has increased 5 pounds in the last 2 months. I'm exercising and my diet is pretty much the same. Should I be concerned?
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Weight & Lifestyle

Answered by Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What kind of excercises?

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for coming back! I'm glad you are into the habit of checking your weight regularly. 5 pounds doesn't seem too troubling to me. Normally a persons weight will vary by small percentage points throughout the year due to the season.

But if you want to drill down a bit more, then we need to look into what exercises you doing and how often you are exercising. We have to check that against your dietary caloric intake.

The simple truth of weight loss and weight gain is mathematics. If you want to lose weight, your caloric intake has to be lower than the calories you burn in daily life + your exercise regime. If you are gaining weight, then the math is working out the other way.

So let me know where you want to take this. But in my opinion, 5lbs is not that much of a worry.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Vinay

Follow-up: What causes weight gain even after exercise and proper diet? 5 minutes later
I run and walk about 20 minutes every other day.

Answered by Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good start, lets tweak this a bit

Detailed Answer:
Hey there, thanks for coming back.

Lets try and add some precision to this exercise routine. On the days when you are going to walk / run, I want you to check your heart rate in the morning as soon as you wake up. Keep that as a baseline (for simplification lets assume that this number is 70).

When you exercise i want you to hit 60-75% of your maximum safe heart rate for at least 20 minutes.

Your maximum safe heart rate is 220 minus your Age (220 - 55 = 165) = 165

60% of 165 = 99
75% of 165 = 124.

So while you are exercising I want you to keep a tab on your heart rate and keep your heart rate between 99 and 124 for at least 20 minutes. That will guarantee that you are getting an effective weight loss workout.

Of course, in all this, I am assuming that you have no heart issues and you have a regular heart beat. If you do, then you will need to devise an exercise regime under the watchful eye of your cardiologist and a good physical therapist.

If all else is ok, then try this out for a few weeks and see if it's working to eat away at that 5lbs.

Hope this helps,

Vin