What causes weight gain during menopause?

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 27 Oct 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Besides having HBP ! am also in menopause. I have gained 25 pounds despite everything I have tried. Diet and excerise. I did change from a beta blocker BP med to Losartan 50mg once a day. I have my thyroid levels tested and all the tests came back normal. What the GYN doctors are telling me it's "MenoPause". I am beside myself because I keep gaining weight ....which is obviously not good for my BP or my heart. So most recently my GYN doctor put me on a low dose of:Estradiol/Norethindrone (1.0mg/0.5mg) at night. My biggest symptom of menopause is weight gain , night sweats, mood swings and mental fog. I would take all of that in an instant if i would stop gaining weight. With that being said, the GYN put me on the above HRT. could this possibly help me loose weight combined with excerise and diet?? I just don't want to gain more weight and if being on HRT is going to do that ....I rather NOT take it at all. I really do need help because I am and the end of my rope. I have never had so much difficulty loosing weight....much less gaining weight like this. Maybe you can consult with and OB/GYN doctor? Would you suggest anything else that could possibly help me. Diet pills ? Other hormones ? My BMI is borderline for any kind of weight loss surgery.....never thought I would even consider that. Please help me. Thank you so much in advance for your help and advise. All the best, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consult dietician and exercise.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns.

I have read your notes carefully. Your worry is rapid weight gain.
Menopause itself does not cause this weight gain. The weight gain in menopause is more of deposition of belly fat. Thyroid can be a culprit, but you said our thyroid hormones are normal.
HRT does not help in reducing weight.
The weight gain in your case seems to be related to diet and exercise.
Consult dietician and take a diet plan for reducing weight. Add more of proteins in your diet. Join gym and exercise regularly under the guidance of trainer. If these measures do not start showing results in two months time, then you need to consult physician for thorough evaluation. If no cause found you may have to have bariatric surgery.
I hope this is helpful.
If you have further concerns,
I will be happy to answer.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T