What causes weakness in the body while on Gabapentin?
Hello and thanks for your question.
While weakness is a known side effect of gabapentin, this would be a global weakness not just in one arm. If you are losing muscle tone and strength in one body area like an arm, this would not be caused by a drug like gabapentin.
This kind of loss of muscle tone and strength would be either due to a problem in the muscle directly or due to a problem with the nerve going to the muscle.
Nerve and muscle conduction studies would be the best way to determine the cause.
In addition an MRI of the brain may be helpful to make sure there is no problem in the motor centers of the brain that could be causing this problem.
The best specialist to see would be a neurologist who specializes in movement disorders.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes shocks in body
- What causes body odor
- What causes body heat
- Causes of body weakness
- What causes body itching
- What is the cause of lipomas on the body
- What causes body tremors
- What is causing more appetite and weakness in body
- What causes neck pain and body weakness
- What causes body flushing
- What causes gas, stomach gurgling and fullness in upper chest?
- Is it not safe to have Amoxicillin for heart murmur?
- Suggest treatment for constipation and tenderness on the sides
- Suggest treatment for Angioedema and severe swelling in limbs and face
- Suggest treatment for soft stool
- What causes hair loss?
- Suggest treatment for fever, sore throat, cough and diarrhea
- Suggest treatment for severe pain due to arthritis in spine and both hands
- Can Requip and Sinemet be taken together?
- What causes gritty, white discharge during urination?