What causes vomiting and fever post paint exposure?

Nephrologist
Question
My 24 year old son was painting today and didn't wear a mask to paint his ceiling . Didn't seem to have any prior symptoms of sickness. But approximately 3 hours later he has been vomiting and running a fever of 100.3. Just doesn't feel good could it be a coincidence or could he have some type of poisoning spraying latex paint all day.

Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dust allergy

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

We often see patients coming with fever after household work. This is because minute dust particles carry viruses and bacteria in them. Here is are my suggestions

1. Treat fever with tab acetaminophen 500 mg, it can be taken up to 3 times daily
2. Drink plenty of fluids
3. Avoid milk, milk products, caffeine and oily food
4. If the fever persists then he has to be started on antibiotics like cefixime
5. Watch for cough and breathlessness
6. For the vomiting I suggest tab pantoprazole before food, let him take soft diet for now.
7. If he has had several episodes of vomiting then I suggest ORS XXXXXXX it has to be mixed with 1 litre of water. Drink sip by sip.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

I wish him good health and a speedy recovery