question-icon

What causes vaginal spotting during early pregnancy?

Posted on Fri, 22 Jul 2016
Question: My sister is 36 years, she has just got pregnant 4weeks. She has been getting spotting. Unable to visit the doctor till Monday. Could you please suggest.
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair (30 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Threatened abortion

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I understand your concern.

since it is 4 weeks ultrasound scan may not be showing the gestation.

If the pregnancy is confirmed and if the spotting is increasing she is going in for abortion.I doubt if progesterone in any form will support the continuation. But if it is very minimal you can wait and observe.

If the spotting is increasing she may have bleeding like periods. If it is excessive she may have to visit the Gynaecologist or else can wait till Monday.

Hope you are convinced. Feel free to ask your doubts with more details.

Good luck

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair

OBGYN