What causes vaginal bleeding after having birth control shot?

Dr. T Shobha Deepak

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: I got the shot 6 weeks ago and had unprotected sex the next day now I have been having pink discharge and cramps for over a week
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Additional information required

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare_Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Sir
It would be more helpful if you could elaborate more

1. What shot did you receive 6 weeks ago?

2. From where are you experiencing discharge

3. Do you have any urinary complaints like increased frequency of passion urine, burning sensation while passing urine ?

4. Do you have any lesion over genitals?

Awaiting your response

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr Shobha Deepak
MBBS,MD
Follow up: Dr. T Shobha Deepak 10 hours later
I am a female, I thought I put that down.

1. Birth control shot

2. The blood is coming from my vagina.

3. I have been peeing a lot but no pain

4. No lesions
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to withdrawal bleeding

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms

The vaginal bleeding is due to withdrawal bleeding due to birth control shot. When there is fluctuation in hormonal level and when it falls below certain level, it is associated with withdrawal bleeding.

Increased frequency of urination could be due to mild cystitis. I would recommend to take plenty of oral fluids, 5 days of antibiotics will be helpful.

Do keep me updated about your progress.

Wishing you and your family a very happy and healthy life

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr Shobha