• question-icon

What causes urinary incontinence in a 82 year old?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: urine just runs out all the time, no normal control
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is due to multiple factors

Detailed Answer:
Hello Thanks for query .

Loss of control over urination at the age of 82 years is due to following multiple factors
1) Senile weakness of urethral sphincter (a muscle that controls urination) and helps to hold on urination
2)Senile narrowing of urethral passage (Urethral Stenosis ) resulting into incomplete emptying of bladder there by significant amount of urine remains in bladder (PVR) which is a source of chronic infection (Cystitis).
3) Loss of Neuronal control over bladder (Detrusor instability).

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Endoscopic examination of bladder (Cystocopy) with urethral calibration .

Using diapers is the only option,However I would suggest to discuss with your Urologist about option of putting a Supra Pubic indwelling catheter to drain the bladder continuously .This will avoid bed wetting and developing excoriation of skin around genitals and thighs.

In the mean while you can take Diarifenacin once daily along with antibiotic like Ciprofloxacin twice daily .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist