What causes repeated episodes of UTI in an elderly person?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: would a bag to empty the bladder empty to help utis in older women that have utis over and over again.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Self retaining Indwelling Catheter will help to prevent getting infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Your 83 years old mother who gets repeated episodes of UTI due to senile urethral stenosis which is very common in elderly females and is due to incomplete emptying of bladder during urination and significant volume of Post Void Residual urine (PVR) which acts as a source of infection ..This UTI is rarely eradicated completely even with tons of antibiotics .

Keeping the bladder empty all the time with self indwelling catheter to drain out bladder continuously will help to eradicate and prevent from getting infection repeatedly and will help her to improve quality of life .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.