• question-icon

What causes unilateral numbness in the back and abdomen?

Posted on Mon, 17 Apr 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Starting this evening I have numbness gradually progressing from left rear thigh up the left side of my back and around to left abdomen, now at shoulder level and down to left elbow. I have been shoveling snow the last three days. Also returned from the west coast to ny on Monday by plane.

Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get examined by a neurologist and get investigated

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
The possibility may be muscular or radiculopathy. But, stroke needs to be ruled out at this age if the symptoms are unilateral only.
Examination will provide more help in arriving at a diagnosis. Visit to a doctor or neurologist.
Is there any vomiting, headache, loss of consciousness, seizures, vertigo, gait abnormalities or limb weakness?
Any previous stroke, transient ischaemic attack, cardiac illness?
Get CT of brain too.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist