• question-icon

    What does right hip pain indicate?

Posted on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: A week ago, I woke up with pain in my right hip. After a couple of days, I went to a chiropractor. He took xrays and said I had a pinched nerve. He also said that my spine was not as straight as it is supposed to be and that was causing problems with my lower back and upper back. He did an adjustment this past Wed. but it has not helped anything as of yet, Also since this has started, I have had an upset stomach which has only aggravated the pain. He said that it could be connected. I don't know what to do. He said it would take at least 8-10 weeks of treatment. I don't know whether to go through that treatment or find another type of doctor. I'm in constant pain and am scared it might get worse. Any advice would be appreciated.

Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Back/hip condition

Detailed Answer:
Good morning Ms. Dxxxx,

I've read your paragraph. Obviously, not being in a position to be able and examine you directly puts me at a great disadvantage to make any type of "educated" guess as to what you may be suffering with, however, if I only analyze what the chiropractor has said then, my response is that the BEST way to verify the presence of a "pinched nerve" is to have the appropriate examination and appropriate workup that is usually conducted by a NEUROLOGIST or possibly ORTHOPEDIST....but when dealing with PINCHED nerves....most of the time the NEUROLOGISTS (such as myself get involved by preference).

As opposed to X-rays my approach would be to examine you first and do a thorough evaluation of the lumbosacral nerve roots in terms of any described pain, alterations in your sensation in the legs, and then, testing of muscle strength to determine WHICH nerve or nerve roots may be affected.

Next, I would likely order an MRI of the lumbar spine and evaluate the results with the possibility of sendin you for an electrical study called an EMG/NCV which will then, verify the location of the nerve root compression or damage since sometimes imaging studies can be misleading.

Based upon this information I would then, consult with either a physical therapist or rehabilitation specialist on a specific and regimented protocol which would NOT necessarily include "spine adjustments" since this is not a recognized therapeutic approach to this sort of problem in the allopathic world nor have I really seen it work in patients who say they get some relief simply because they are forever going back for more sessions and I don't really see much change in their complaints when they have them. In other words, they may feel a bit better while at the doctor's office but this is very temporary. Some people actually report feeling worse. Truth be told...physical therapy can sometimes cause the same difficulties but again, there are options to that as well.

I am a big fan of AQUATHERAPY and following the guidelines for exercises promoted by the XXXXXXX Arthritis foundation which you can find on their website. They will also give you access to places in your geographic area that offer aquatherapy for either FREE or very affordably. I don't believe you even need to referral by a doctor to participate but most of my patients certainly do go with the referral because I add instructions about their condition so that we avoid overstressing or doing things that they may not be able to handle well.

Therefore, I believe you still could use a formal workup with a better diagnosis than just "out of alignment" because I have little knowledge of what that means when it comes to an actual specific level for a radiculopathy that could be intervened on more precisely if we knew the location of the problem.

You should also know that "pinched" nerves will resolve on their own in a period of months without invasive intervention (i.e. you don't need surgery or shots, etc). However, for acute pain the neurologist or pain management specialist you see will have some ideas of what you can be offered based upon the specific problem that is found.

Bottom line, if this were a patient in my office or this were a family member of mine I would advise that they defer any further appointments with the chiropractor and get the problem properly worked up and evaluated by a neurologist in consultation with a rehab specialist to begin with and perhaps get pain management involved if necessary although I always try my own conservative measures such as aquatherapy and other more commonly prescribed medications for these types of problems first before getting pain management involved.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 20 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Dariush Saghafi


Practicing since :1988

Answered : 2474 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Rehabilitation

doctor1 MD

My stepson is currently having severe shaking, stiffness ,less than normal mentation, leaning backward when sitting or walking. Does not like a...

doctor1 MD

my husband has been diagnosed with Parkinson's but has a sulfur allergy . He is taking Amantadine and Azilect and is complaining of weakness in his...

doctor1 MD


doctor1 MD

AST 229 ALT 139 friend was binge drinking 90 to 120 gm/day for quiet some time......
Has been in rehab (some time back) and relapesed twice. No...

doctor1 MD

my father-in-law (age 87) had a stroke six months back. He had to undergo an operation as there was clot and bleeding in the brain. Now he responds...

doctor1 MD

My daughter has SLE and antiphospholipid syndrome and myocarditis...are there any rehab programs out there to help get her back on...

doctor1 MD

my sister suffered a anoxic/ tramatic brain injury last september. After the accident she still had some memory . We sent her to rehabilitation and...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

134 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Dariush Saghafi
  • Q - Suggest treatment for numbness in my left hand’s fingers

  • Q - Suggest treatment for numbness in the fingers

  • Q - Suggest treatment for pain and stiffness in the neck

  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe throat pain

  • Q - What does this MRI report indicate?

  • Q - Can an epileptic person take Vistaril?

  • Q - Suggest remedies for dizziness after electroconvulsive therapy treatment

  • Q - Suggest remedies for intolerance to Trazodone

  • Q - Suggest treatment for nausea, weakness and low BP

  • Q - What causes high BP and pulsating sensation in the throat and abdomen?