question-icon

What causes turning of white spots on tonsils to brown spots?

Posted on Sat, 26 Jul 2014
Question: I had bacterial tonsilitis with both tonsils having white spots . After 10 days of antibiotics , the white spots cleared but we're replaced by Brown/ red dots. Dr said this means infection is clearing. How long after antibiotic treatment should the tonsils spots disappear ? This is giving me alot of anxiety that something else is wrong
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for worry.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. These are normal stages of resolution and healing of an acute follicular tonsillitis. The red/brown sots are the raw surface of the tonsillar crypts healing after the pus (white spots) have drained and disappeared.

2. Usually , the healing will be complete in a week from now. Use a medicated mouthwash.

3. If symptoms persist despite medication, or if the congestion is beyond the margins of the tonsils (for example on the cheek or palate), get a throat swab and routine blood tests done.

4. Further treatment will depend on these factors.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti (18 minutes later)
Dr, thanks . How much longer after the treatment is complete would it take ti resolve itself? I have completed my treatment a week ago and so far no symptoms beyond the tonsils.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti (5 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Not more than a week.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. healing from this stage should take no longer than a week.

2. Remember to take rest, adequate hydration, bland food and continue a medicated mouthwash till your next examination.

3. Follow the treatment guidelines mentioned above.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist