Suggest treatment for high fever in a child

Posted on Fri, 6 Oct 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My 5 year old has a high fever. We have been the doctor earlier today and she diagnosed viral tonsilitis. He is now complaining of pins and needles in his feet and his fever is persistently 40.5 - 40.9 despite panadol. He is alert and drinking, although quiet somewhat flat.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infectious mononucleosis

Detailed Answer:
Dear parent, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns.. This is probably due to a type of viral tonsillitis that is called infectious mononucleosis which presents with swollen tonsils , possible tingling and pins and needle sensation , persistent fever and enlarged lymph nodes of the armpits or else where in the body..
This viral infection is usually self limited , will require rest , staying adequately hydrated and antipyretics..
If panadol alone is not effective in reducing his feve then you need to use ibuprofen in alternation with panadol every four hours .. this means that you give a panadol dose followed by an ibuprofen dose after four hours and so on..
It is also important to follow up by an abdominal examination to exclude the developement of infectious mononucleosis complications such as enlarged spleen or hepatitis .. Although unlikely complications but still possible and needs to be rolled out.. I hope you find this helpful ..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman