What causes thickening of heart wall in fetus during pregnancy?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: My daughter was told today that her fetus (about 22 weeks) is showing signs of a thickening of the heart wall. The heartbeat is normal. She was previously told that her umbilical cord has only two blood vessels rather than the normal three. The doctor doesn't know if the two are related. He is considering taking the baby now saying the baby will have a better change of surviving outside the womb. Is this a normal response to this condition? Is this a serious condition?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is a serious condition

Detailed Answer:

This 2 vessel umbilical cord is due to a single artery in place of 2.

Through majority of babies are normal even if there is single umbilical artery, some of them do have abnormalities in the heart.

There is no problem with birth of baby as it is likely to be normal birth. But baby is likely to be born with cardiac defects.

There is possibility of genitourinary defects also. I suggest you also get amniocentesis done to know the possible genetic chromosomal defects like down's syndrome.

This is definitely serious and needs to be investigated in detail.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Dr. XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
She has had genetic testing and results were normal. She meets with a obstetric specialist every two weeks for sonograms. Everything has been normal until today. Does it seem reasonable to take the baby now (or soon) given this condition? Is there a better chance for normal development outside the womb?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dont take out now.

Detailed Answer:

As of now, the development outside womb are very less as baby is very premature. Dont take out now. It is not going to make much difference if taken out now. You have to wait.

There are possibilities of baby dying prematurely if taken out now. Please wait
Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist